Saturday, July 19, 2014

I'm So JC : Little History Facts

Remember in my last blog I told you that I had many stories, memories, and great words I have to say about the Junction City-Geary County Region? Well lately I’ve seen a trend on Facebook called “I’m So…”, which describes what you remember growing up in the town. Well, for one, I have many….So I’m just going to give my list right here….Only some…Not everything…

I’m so J.C., I remember when Powerhits 97.5 used to be “The Big Kat 94.5”. The Talk of JC, used to be “1420 Country KJCK”. If you ever listened to the radio, you would know when to sing along when they played the full version of The Martinez Sales and Rentals, theme song..

Across from McDonald’s where Panchos is located, used to be a Winchell’s Doughnuts, and a Pie place.

El Tapatio used to be, Pinata.

Kite’s was Erika’s Guesthaus (German Restaurant).

Denny’s and a Dairy Queen south of Washington.

Food 4 Less where JC Naz is currently.

Sirloin Stockade was located in the building across from the JC Naz church, before it became EL Cazador.

Shoney’s was where the Family Buffet is at currently. In fact, The Wal-Mart area was nothing but a Shoney’s, Wal-Mart, gas station, and Holiday Inn express.

The old Arby’s where the Eye doctor is at currently.

Days Inn before it became a Knight’s Inn.

All Fast food restaurants on sixth street had their original décor.

Hardees where El Ranchito is currently at.

Montgomery Wards used to be where Goodwill is at today.

Wal-Mart’s ORIGINAL Look went through three renovations in which it used to have a McDonald’s located where the Deli is at.

The Place to rent videos from was Dillons, Blockbuster, and Video time.

Community Band became a summer time activity in the park back in the 90’s.

ALCO’s before it became ‘The Dixon Center”.

JCHS went through many renovations.

Prom used to be held in the gymnasium with an awesome design of jaw dropping decorations….You would think you were not in Shenk gymnasium anymore. (my early 2000’s graduate friends might remember it)

South Park held the best Easter egg hunts.

The Opera House was vacant at the time….I never thought they would refurbish and re-open it during my High school career.

The Library held many great kid activities, story time, reading contests, magicians, Mr. Bill, and many other performances.

Sundown Salute used to be in Milford, although, it started back in 1972.

Grant Avenue had many restaurants which were owned by Korean, Puerto Rican, and German citizens.

Jin-Jin Garden used to be Imperial Palace.

The Tabaco/liquor shop used to be a Mexican restaurant.

Turning Point church was the ORIGINAL 18th Little Theatre Play house.

Radio Shack, All Banks, Martinez Sale’s and Rentals, and Church’s Chicken have been in their same location dating back to when Junction City first started booming in the early 1900’s.

Jim Clark’s Tiger.

….I will stop right there, because the list, stories, and many many more things can go on.


By the way….Do you remember “The Flood”?

Ronald Atkinson

No comments:

Post a Comment